Monday, April 22, 2013

Is Ray Kurzweil an out-of-date Elitist?


 I don't want to be someone I am not.  I am very pragmatic, especially in that if I were one of the elite, I wouldn't be writing this post.  I freely admit it.  I am a power hungry individual who simply has not found his niche yet.
  That being said, the fact that the majority of Americans do not seem to care that the elite classes in our country, as firmly separated from the rest of the detritus as a Kshatriya from a Sudra, treat us with disdain and contempt mystifies me.  At every turn, the elite further separate themselves from the rest of us, and we don't care.
  Someone brought this concern to Mr. Ray Kurzweil, a very respected man among the Futurist, Transhumanist, and Anti-Aging communities, specifically regarding elitist views and behavior in relation to the Singularity.  The letter and Mr. Kurzweil's reply may be found here: http://bit.ly/17JeOEg
  As I am wont to do, I left a rather snarky comment in the comment section.  While the comment itself is somewhat tame compared to some of the things I have said elsewhere, in the case of it possibly not being posted on the referenced site, I have it here for your reading pleasure:
"I enjoy people’s ability to push reality under the rug and pretend to walk all over it, something Mr. Kurzweil has done in his rather unintelligent, backhanded answer to a very valid question. More and more, it seems that Kurzweil and his ilk are beholden to the very entities that wish to control progress and make it only available for the elite. His answer, which is essentially, “Oh, don’t worry, buddy, it will be OK, dontchaknow,” is canned, apparently uninformed at best, and disingenuous at worst. Much respect lost for Mr. Kurzweil in his blatant dodging of a very important question."
  For such a respected individual to so casually remark that "People say, 'Oh, only the rich are going to have these technologies you speak of.' And I say, 'Yeah, like cellphones.' " Is disgusting to me.(quote from the Wall Street Journal,http://on.wsj.com/154j9oD)
  Our lives, if I am not being too nonsensical, are not cellphones.  We are not computers.  We do communicate, yes, and we do perform complex computations, however, we are not simply machines to be thrown away or recycled when our usefulness is no longer up to par.  Yet, this respected individual seems to have the opinion that our value, in a Transhuman/Singularity sense, is equivalent to just such a device.  He even defends this by attempting to force us to view advancement from his regressive perspective:"A kid in Africa with a smartphone is walking around with a trillion dollars of computation circa 1970."   Last time I checked, this was 2013, not 1970, and that kid in Africa is desperately behind the rest of the developed and developing world.  He lives in poverty, but HEY, HE HAS A CELL PHONE!  HE MUST BE DOING JUST GREAT!
  Even the interviewer in the WSJ article seems to be intent on forcing humans into a predefined mold, "Humans are wired to expect "linear" change from their world. They have a hard time grasping the "accelerating, exponential" change that is the nature of information technology."  Personally, I don't have a hard time grasping the serpentine nature of technological advancement, slow moving and sinuous one moment and striking forward with blinding speed the next.  But, I must conform to that rather uninformed and blind view of humanity since, after all, I am a Human, and that's what the elite think of us.
  Ray Kurzweil has outlived his usefulness to the rest of humanity.  He is increasingly becoming a technological and Transhumanist snob, and his view of humanity is the clearest evidence of that.  Just read his books.  Watch and read his interviews.  His increasing detachment from the rest of us encourages him to view himself as separate from the rest of us, a sort of elitist techno-hermit.  We need a new model of a Kurzweil, and I am not referring to a synthesizer.


No comments:

Post a Comment